hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer <awittena...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: 0.20.2 HDFS incompatible with 0.20.1
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:00:02 GMT

On 1/6/10 10:54 AM, "Todd Lipcon" <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
> -0 to pulling it out - I agree that it's very tricky, but I think HDFS-101
> is a pretty big bug to knowingly leave in. In my experience this has been
> the singular cause behind a lot of HDFS write problems when a cluster has a
> couple of "bad egg" nodes.
>
> Given the number of times 0.21 has been pushed back, I think the majority of
> users will be on 0.20 for some time to come, so I'd love it to be free of
> known issues like this.

Due to exactly this problem (0.21 taking 4-ev-er... I think we should hold a
1-yr old birthday party for 0.20 at the appropriate HUGs), I'd like to have
a working 0.20.  I'm sure I'm not the only one willing to forgo back-compat,
but with a caveat: The fact that an upgrade requirement needs to be obvious.
Can we change the message of "protocol violation" or whatever it is to add
"Perhaps you need to upgrade your client?" or something?