hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How compile hadoop-0.20.1
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:37:54 GMT

On Nov 23, 2009, at 2:10 PM, psdc1978 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 1 - I'm trying to compile hadoop-0.20.1 but I'm facing several errors.
> Hadoop includes several subprojects, but these subprojects are all
> compiled
> in one file called hadoop-0.20.1-core.jar. If I just want to update
> the code
> in the MapReduce component, do I have to compile all the project?

The project split happened after the 0.20 branch. Common, HDFS, and
MapReduce were a single project named Core.

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease

> 4 - Should I try to compile hadoop in windows with Cygwin, or should I
> compile inside Ubuntu?

I'd strongly suggest Ubuntu. Very few organizations other than
Microsoft run large Windows clusters. *smile* Of course compiling the
jars can happen on any operating system, but the native parts (if you
want them) need to be compiled on the deployment platform.

-- Owen