hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: avro in mapreduce
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:07:11 GMT
On Jan 29, 2010, at 12:33 AM, Bernd Fondermann wrote:

> Democratic? Not exactly.

It is completely democratic within the group that gets to vote. Python
and Linux let the person who started the project have an absolutely
final say, which is a very different model.

>  PMC chairs have more rights than.

Actually, PMC chairs do have more rights, but they aren't very
interesting rights. *smile* They are things like granting subversion
karma to new committers that have been voted in by the PMC and writing
the quarterly report on the state of the project for the Apache board.

> But vetos have to be formally cast and justified. Simply reverting a
> patch is not vetoing.

I did veto the patch and gave my justification before I reverted it.
For better or worse, the Apache rules say that -1 votes on code
changes are binding. Trust me, I've been on the wrong side of a -1 and
we had to work through to a compromise. It takes time, but the hope is
that it leads to better software, which is the real goal.

-- Owen