hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: 0.20.2 HDFS incompatible with 0.20.1
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 18:54:22 GMT
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Dhruba Borthakur <dhruba@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I would like to propose that we pull out HDFS-793 and HDFS-101 from 0.20.
>
> +1 to pulling it out. This code is very tricky and is dangerous to change
> in
> a minor release.

-0 to pulling it out - I agree that it's very tricky, but I think HDFS-101
is a pretty big bug to knowingly leave in. In my experience this has been
the singular cause behind a lot of HDFS write problems when a cluster has a
couple of "bad egg" nodes.

Given the number of times 0.21 has been pushed back, I think the majority of
users will be on 0.20 for some time to come, so I'd love it to be free of
known issues like this.

As for testing, I'm happy to devote time to testing an alternate version of
HDFS-101 that doesn't break compatibility - I can reproduce that bug
reliably.

That said, Hairong's opinion should carry a lot of weight, and if she thinks
it's too risky, I'm totally willing to agree.

-Todd