hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Stephen Watt <sw...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Hadoop Release Schedule
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:36:49 GMT
If one goes to the Hadoop-Common JIRA and clicks on the RoadMap Option and
selects "All Versions" as the scope, one is able to see the different
releases being worked on. In some cases in the past, I've seen what I
construe to be release dates next the Release Heading. For example, Hadoop
0.21.0 has 05/June/09 next to it. Are these dates effectively a stake in
the ground for the community to work towards ? Is this report the
definitive location to identify how close a particular tagged release is
to being made generally available ?

The way it appears to me is that once all the issues tagged for a
particular release are closed and the release appears to work well in
system testing (done independently by the community), a vote is taken and
the release is made available. i.e. a release date that is driven more by
the closure of open issues and features than a particular date the
community is working towards. Is that correct ? It seems in the past that
there has been a release about every 3 months.

Lastly, what about releases that appear to have been passed by, such as
0.18.4 ?

Kind regards
Steve Watt