hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what is the major difference between Hadoop and cloudMapReduce?
Date Sun, 29 Nov 2009 04:36:59 GMT
On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM, tom <zs68j2ee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I know Hadoop is a suite of software service for the cluster
> computing, including mapreduce implementation, distributed database,
> distributed file system, etc.
>  the confusion to me is If cloudMapReduce just is focused on Cloud
> Computing Infrastructure and must be depend on overall distributed
> service provided and hidden by Cloud Computing Infrastructure?
>
>  And, cloudMapReduce just can be a alternate implementation of MapReduce?
>  Is it right?

Yes, Cloud MapReduce is an alternate implementation of MapReduce. The
difference between Cloud MapReduce and Hadoop is that Cloud MapReduce
depends upon the infrastructure services provided by Amazon (e.g.,
AMIs, S3, SQS and SimpleDB) instead of providing it's own
implementation of each.

On a side note, I find it interesting that Amazon is now offering a
product based on Hadoop named Amazon Elastic MapReduce:

http://aws.amazon.com/elasticmapreduce/

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/