hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Introducing Cloud MapReduce
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:41:41 GMT
Given that Hadoop is the dominant project at the ASF for
cloud-oriented Java applications, I'd like to introduce a new project
in the open source world named Cloud MapReduce. Below are the
pertinent details for the project followed by some info describing why
I'm posting on this list.

What: Created by Huan Liu and Dan Orban at Accenture Labs, Cloud
MapReduce is a MapReduce framework built on top of the Amazon
Infrastructure services. It utilizes these services (Amazon EC2,
Amazon S3, Amazon SQS and Amazon SimpleDB) to create a unique
MapReduce framework with some distinct advantages. Cloud MapReduce
utilizes the Apache License 2.0.

Where: The code base currently lives in a GoogleCode project so it is
available for download by anyone:

http://code.google.com/p/cloudmapreduce/

There is also more information about Cloud MapReduce at the website,
including a detailed technical report.

Why: Cloud MapReduce offers three primary advantages over other cloud
frameworks:

1) It is faster than other implementations (e.g., 60 times faster than
Hadoop in one case. Speedup depends on the application and data.).
2) It is more scalable and more failure resistant because it has no
single point of bottleneck.
3) It is dramatically simpler with only 3,000 lines of code (e.g., two
orders of magnitude simpler than Hadoop).

Cloud MapReduce is a new framework that is seeking a good home.
Creator Huan Liu came to me because, in his words, he 'wants to build
a community around Cloud MapReduce.' What better place to do this than
the ASF! In speaking with Doug Cutting and others at ApacheCon US a
few weeks ago, we agreed that the best approach to begin would be via
this list in order to get the best breadth possible across the Apache
cloud-related community.

In finding a home at the ASF for Cloud MapReduce, we are aware that it
does not complement Hadoop really, so making it a subproject of Hadoop
is not necessarily the best approach. Another approach would be to
take it through the Incubator in order to eventually graduate as a top
level project.

Exposure to a wider audience is always the best way to grow an idea
and to explore corners that we may have overlooked. The intent of this
message is to start a conversation around Cloud MapReduce, ask
question, discuss its future and generally figure out how best to
bring it to the ASF. Hopefully the information here is enough for
folks to begin asking questions.

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/