hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How compile hadoop-0.20.1
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:32:30 GMT
psdc1978 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 1 - I'm trying to compile hadoop-0.20.1 but I'm facing several errors.
> Hadoop includes several subprojects, but these subprojects are all compiled
> in one file called hadoop-0.20.1-core.jar. If I just want to update the code
> in the MapReduce component, do I have to compile all the project?

yes

> 2 - Why Hadoop only have one jar for all the project? For example, MapReduce
> subcomponent could be inside mapreduce.jar, Common subcomponent could be
> inside common.jar, HDFS subcomponent could be inside hdfs.jar, etc.

in SVN_HEAD Hadoop it is split up. That will give you a version
synchronisation problem that didn't exist before, of course

> 3 - Is there any tutorial that helps how to compile Hadoop?

Check out SVN, run "ant -p" to list the targets

> 4 - Should I try to compile hadoop in windows with Cygwin, or should I
> compile inside Ubuntu?

If you have linux, I would go for that. It does build under cygwin, and
on OS/X, but there's a lot to be said for working in Linux on your
desktop so that the problems you encounter are the same as you'd see in
the cluster