hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Tim Robertson <timrobertson...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Introducing Cloud MapReduce
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 18:34:35 GMT
Hi Bruce,

Interesting stuff.  It looks like it only works with String Keys and
Values (possibly a reason you see large performance gains with simpler
serialization requirements) - have you any plans to support other
types in the roadmap? Perhaps with Protobufs or Avro serialization?

Have you considered using the same Mapper and Reducer class and method
signatures so that a MR job could be written and launched against
CloudMR or Hadoop?
[The reason I ask is I am hacking an implementation of a single JVM,
multithreaded MR framework that does this, so I can ship the same
analysis I run on large datasets to people to run on small datasets
also (much lighter than Hadoop but compatible).  I am putting it on
google code mapreduce4j.  It might be nice if there was a standard MR
API that people coded against and launched in various frameworks -
just a thought].

Cheers,
Tim