hadoop-general mailing list archives

From gmac...@cs.ucf.edu
Subject Re: Namenode with External Storage?
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:37:21 GMT
As with Dhruba's comment, so long as it is just the namenode that is
running on a networked file system everything should be chill. The namenode
keeps all of its working metadata in main mem, and it only occasionally
pushes a log file out to hard storage (and if I remember correctly you can
adjust this time window in one of the site files).

However, you are going to run into huge performance issues running
datanodes over a networked storage system. Having to push that many file
requests over a network for a respectable mapreduce job is going to kill
your equipment.

 - Grant

On Oct 21 2009, Jonathan Seidman wrote:

>Apologies if this has been answered previously, but I'm unable to find
>anything that seems to cover this.
>
> It's clear that datanodes require local storage for Hadoop to function
> efficiently, but is there any significant disadvantage to using external
> storage for namenodes? We're exploring the possibility of using a
> different class of hardware for our namenodes with attached storage and
> little or no internal storage. Some of the benefits this would provide us
> are: 1) allowing our sysadmins to deploy hardware that they're familiar
> with and already have considerable experience keeping up in a production
> environment. 2) no namenode downtime to replace a failed disk.
>
>We don't anticipate that this approach would cause any significant
>degradation to performance, but let me know if there's something we're not
>considering.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jonathan

Grant Mackey