hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Jonathan Seidman <jonathan.seid...@gmail.com>
Subject Namenode with External Storage?
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:15:03 GMT
Apologies if this has been answered previously, but I'm unable to find
anything that seems to cover this.

It's clear that datanodes require local storage for Hadoop to function
efficiently, but is there any significant disadvantage to using external
storage for namenodes? We're exploring the possibility of using a different
class of hardware for our namenodes with attached storage and little or no
internal storage. Some of the benefits this would provide us are: 1)
allowing our sysadmins to deploy hardware that they're familiar with and
already have considerable experience keeping up in a production environment.
2) no namenode downtime to replace a failed disk.

We don't anticipate that this approach would cause any significant
degradation to performance, but let me know if there's something we're not