hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop and org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration class.
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:56:34 GMT

On Oct 16, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Vitaliy Avdeev wrote:

> Yes I meant final.
> But why when I am using  Configuration.writeXML(out) there is no
> <final>
> parameters in saved file?

This was a conscious decision we made in HADOOP-785.

The idea is that a Configuration is serialized from the 'client
context'. The client configuration is always loaded on 'top' of the
configuration stack at runtime on the server (either at the JobTracker
on job-submission or at the TaskTracker during task-execution) and
thus the notion of 'final' parameters is moot.

Having said that you do have a valid cause for complaint; I've
recently been involved in some discussions with the Pig team where we
concluded that this feature could be useful during task localization
on the TaskTracker i.e. the TaskTracker should set the 'localized'
parameters of the task to be 'final'. The short end of the stick is
I'd request you to open a jira asking for this enhancement... please?

thanks,
Arun