hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Sanjay Radia <sra...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: HTTP transport?
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 16:41:09 GMT

On Sep 29, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Sanjay Radia wrote:
> > Wrt  connection pooling/async servers: Can't we use the same
> libraries
> > that Jetty and Tomcat use?
> >  Grizzly?
>
> Grizzly also supports HTTP.  Choosing Grizzly is independent of
> choosing
> HTTP as a wire transport or choosing a server.

Agreed.
Hence the main advantages that remain for http transport are
1)  language independent spec for the protocol. The message headers
will be in avro so that is easy and the message exchange should be
fairly straightforward. I see this as a minor advantage for using http
transport.
2) code to implement the transport in multiple languages.

(2) is a significant advantage.
Once we put in the security modifications, will it remain that
portable? We should look at that more closely.

What about out of order exchange. Will we be able to support that with
http transport?

sanjay