hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Sammer <e...@lifeless.net>
Subject Re: HTTP transport?
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 20:53:34 GMT
Ryan:

Certainly keep alive will help in this case, if that's what you're
referring to. The server holds the socket for N seconds or M requests,
which ever comes first. What you're saving with KA is the connection
setup / tear down. If you have a lot of cases where the client makes a
single request and goes away, then KA hurts because the server holds the
connection for the KA timeout (N seconds). This *really* helps if you're
using TLS due to the additional connection setup overhead.

It's my opinion and experience that KA helps greatly in the case of many
exchanges between a small to medium number of clients and a server such
as RPC. The anti-example is an ad server or web beacon server, for instance.

Regards.

--
Eric Sammer
eric@lifless.net