hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HTTP transport?
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:08:44 GMT
stack wrote:
> What do you think the path on the first line look like? Will it be a method
> name or will it be customizable?

Avro RPC currently includes the message name in the payload, so, unless
that changes, for Avro RPC, we'd probably use a different URL per
protocol.  As a convention we might use the namespace-qualified protocol
name as the URL path.

Alternately, we could try to make Avro's RPC more HTTP-friendly, and
pull stuff out of Avro's payload into HTTP headers.  The downside of
that would be that, if we still wish to support non-HTTP transports,
we'd end up with duplicated logic.

If we fully embraced HTTP as Avro's primary RPC transport then it might
make sense to move the message name to the URL and to use the HTTP
return code to determine whether the response is an error or not.
Avro's RPC payload also currently includes request and response
metadata, which are functionally redundant with HTTP headers.

> (In hbase, it might be nice to have path be /tablename/row/family/qualifier etc).

It sounds like you'd perhaps like to be able to put RPC request
parameters into the URL?  I don't see that being done automatically in a
general way for arbitrary parameter types without the URLs getting
really ugly and adding a lot of complexity.  For this it might be better
to write a servlet filter that constructs the appropriate Avro-format
request and forwards it to the RPC url.

Doug