hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "benjamin.cotton@lehman.com" <Benjamin.Cot...@lehman.com>
Subject drivers to bridge familiar SQL queries to Hadoop MapReduce internals?
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 16:16:56 GMT

I am brand new to Hadoop and have a very newbie question:  Is it a
Hadoop community priority to  build drivers (or layers of drivers) that
will help bridge simple, familiar SQL queries to Hadoop MapReduce
internals  - liberating the application query developer from having to
necessarily learn Hadoop-specific technologies, APIs, and tactics?

E.g. in   the "Hadoop - The Definitive Guide" initial example, I would
like to STILL just be able to write

Select avg(weatherStationTable.airTemp), max(weatherStationTable.airTemp)
from   weatherStationTable
group by  weatherStationTable.year

and depend on some Driver (or layer of Drivers) to bridge that familiar
SQL relational query to a Hadoop MapReduce job that is deployed across
the HDFS (or other  Hadoop-specific data hostng layer) to  execute in
Hadoop and return my result.

 is the notion of this potential capability off-the mark re: current
Hadoop community development priorities?