hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HTTP transport?
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:59:17 GMT

On Sep 11, 2009, at 2:41 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> I'm considering an HTTP-based transport for Avro as the preferred,
> high-performance option.

I've got concerns about this. Both tactical and strategic. The
tactical problem is that I need to get security (both Kerberos and
token) in to 0.22. I'd really like to get Avro RPC into 0.22. I'd like
both to be done roughly in 5 months. If you switch off of the current
RPC code base to a completely new RPC code base, I don't see that
happening.

> HTTP has lots of advantages.  In particular, it already has
> - lots of authentication, authorization and encryption support;
> - highly optimized servers;
> - monitoring, logging, etc.

It also has a couple of disadvantages:
   - poor integration with kerberos
   - very expensive on the wire encryption (ssl)

> Tomcat and other servlet containers support async NIO, where a
> thread is not required per connection.

I'm also concerned about the weight of Tomcat. Everything I've read
about it says that it take a lot more memory and cpu than Jetty. I
think a solution that requires Tomcat may be problematic...

-- Owen