hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Taylor, Ronald C" <ronald.tay...@pnl.gov>
Subject RE: Discussion about Hamburg (provisional name) open sourcing
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 04:09:31 GMT
Hello Mr. Yoon,

I was delighted to hear of your proposed Hamburg project. I am a new
user of Hadoop (and Hbase). It looks like that I will be spending a
substantial amount of time working in this environment over the next
couple years, for both DOE bioinformatics work (my primary field) and
for work funded by DoD. I am enthusiastic about using Hadoop, Hive,
Hbase. Also am quite interested in the Mahout project.

While I cannot offer advice as to where to place your new project within
the Apache framework, I did want to offer my support. I believe that it
could well be of value in the coming years both to me, for my
bioinformatics research, and to other researchers here at PNNL working
in the areas of social networks (in our national security directorate)
and in a set of projects directed toward making the electrical grid
"smarter". I would not be able to contribute any code until I found
funding from current or new projects for my time. But if Hamburg moves
forward and can demonstrate its usefulness, that might be a real
possibility.

And in regards to funding for getting you some help: if you can find a
collaborator based at a university or non-profit, said collaborator
could well apply for a grant from the US National Science Foundation for
open source Hadoop-based development of graph computing / mining
algorithms. The NSF Computer and Information Science and Engineering
Directorate is awarding grants specifically devoted to the area of graph
mining (at least this year - hopefully will continue next year - anyway,
NSF gives money for algorithm and tool development in general - friendly
to that). I can't apply (at least not directly) - NSF does not like to
give money to other US government labs. But I would think you could find
someone in academia - perhaps someone already working with the Mahout
group. It would appear a natural fit. I presume there are a number of
people associated with the Apache org who know something about the NSF
and could offer further advice in that direction.

I look forward to hearing more about Hamburg, as it progresses.

 Best,
  Ron Taylor

Ronald Taylor, Ph.D.
Computational Biology & Bioinformatics Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
902 Battelle Boulevard
P.O. Box 999, MSIN K7-90
Richland, WA  99352 USA