hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Bogdan M. Maryniuk" <bogdan.maryn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tools to help administer a cluster?
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2009 03:39:50 GMT
On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 7:01 AM, RSD<ross.dmochowski@gmail.com> wrote:
> I highly recommend investing the time with CFEngine

Not sure how CFEngine can be better than simple script in bash for
administering Hadoop in this case. But I am sure how it might be a
disaster when you forget e.g. a semicolon in some certain place and
run it.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Philip Zeyliger<philip@cloudera.com> wrote:
> We build (and use) RPM & deb packages for Hadoop.

In that case Tim has to decide messing up with
http://rpm4darwin.sourceforge.net/ (read: seriously affect his
infrastructure with rpm'ed Darwin ports) or not. I am not sure how
your Linux-only packages will work on "rpmized" OSX either.

> See http://cloudera.com/hadoop .  You can package up your config files
> into an RPM too (see my.cloudera.com) or use rsync for those, and you
> can distribute the binaries by pointing your machines to a yum/apt
> repository.

Any plans to support IPS (http://opensolaris.org/os/project/pkg/)?
C'mon, guys, Java on Solaris is still better and ZFS has much more
advantage over standard POSIX bridges that are available on Linux at
the moment. :-) I've got running Hadoop on Solaris and its zones
finally good: just for some reason Hadoop disliked ZFS rpool within a
zone, but asks for a real device mounted. Haven't figured out it yet
by reading sources, since I am too new to Hadoop, but that's was the
only issue so far (0.20 and 0.19.1 versions tried).

--
BM