hadoop-general mailing list archives

From anubhav.hanj...@convergys.com
Subject Re: Tools to help administer a cluster?
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 09:21:59 GMT
If you only need to copy files around to multiple hosts, you can use rsync
utility to do that.
you can write a shell script to do the following

1. zip the delta distribution preserving the directory structure
2. rsync the zip to a predefined location on all nodes
3. ssh to each of your nodes one after the other
4. execute the unzip and copy overf your hadoop delta distribution on
remote machines

You can try the above steps on your current host to stage/rehearse your
installation before you actually do it so that you can verify if things
are ok.

hope it helps or was i completely unhelpful:)?

-a.r.h

tim robertson <timrobertson100@gmail.com>
07/03/2009 02:36 PM
Please respond to
general@hadoop.apache.org

general@hadoop.apache.org
cc

Subject
Tools to help administer a cluster?

Hi all,

Can someone please point me at an open source tool that can help with
management of a *nix cluster?
I am looking for something that allows easy ability to copy over a new
Hadoop distribution and sync all the config files etc.  I'm not very
good at system admin, so hoping there is are some tools to help speed
things up.

I am running on a small cluster using Mac OSX right now, but will want
to use the same on a Linux distribution with 16 nodes shortly.

Cheers,

Tim