hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Edit link on jira.
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:02:19 GMT
Patrick Hunt wrote:
> As I understand it until recently we were able to edit comments, for
> some reason it was changed.

This change was presented here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/core-dev@hadoop.apache.org/msg42904.html

> 1) has editing of comments been a problem for the hadoop community --
> were people misusing this?

For folks who follow issues by email, a small change requires that one
re-read the entire edited comment, since Jira's diffs are useless.
Folks were frequently editing long comments making it very difficult to
determine what change had been made.  It's better to make a new comment
amending one's prior comment.

I have long argued against editing Jira comments.

See the "Jira Guidelines" near the end of the page.  This was added in 2007.

Doug