hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Chad Walters <chad_walt...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] new subproject: Avro
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 07:03:33 GMT

Doug,

After our off-list chat, and given that you have indicated that the design is still in flux
and that you are open to discussing changes that would permit interoperability, I am not as
concerned as I was.

My urgency came from concern that once the design was put in place as part of an Apache subproject,
rather than open sourced in some other less prominent forum, it would increase the barrier
to interoperability; in particular, I was concerned that people would assume the design of
the data format was fully-baked and start persisting large amounts of data in some early version
of the format, potentially prematurely ossifying the design in a state unsuited for compatibility
with Thrift. Given your clarifications around this, my fears clearly were not well-founded.

Please accept my apology if I came across as obstructionist. I was honestly advocating on
behalf of what I believe is in the best interest our shared user base.

Clearly we have some disagreements about the value of some of Thrift's design choices and
what those mean for various use cases. I think we also have some differences of opinion about
the relative difficulty of implementation versus the value of interoperability. Hopefully,
the next few months will afford an opportunity to examine the sources of those disagreements
and see if they can be resolved.

Sincerely,

Chad