hadoop-general mailing list archives

From George Porter <George.Por...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] new subproject: Avro
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 20:25:54 GMT
One thing that you might consider is adding the ability to add path
state to the serialization to better support tracing and
instrumentation of the RPC layer with Avro.  I did something like this
with Thrift, where I simply added a "hidden" parameter with a well
known, but unused parameter.  If the receiver understood the tracing
format, it could pull metadata from that parameter, and if not, than
it would just ignore it.  Based on your description of the
"projection" feature, it seems like that would apply here as well.

Thanks,
-George