hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Changing email notifications
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 21:50:21 GMT
+0

We really need to split hadoop-core into two or more subprojects
Keeping HDFS, MapReduce, Hive, HOD, etc. in a single project is not
scalable.  Nigel vetoed this because he thinks it will complicate QA,
but I think (a) it will simplify so many other people's lives that it is
well worth any such cost and (b) the net change in QA effort will be
quite moderate.  Yes, there will be more projects to QA, but they'll be
simpler projects.

Modifying the mailing lists is a band aid.  It will help those who're
not already doing similar things with filters already, but it will cause
everyone who does have filters to have to re-jigger their filters.
There will be some confusion and time wasted explaining it to folks.

So I'm fine with this change being made, but it doesn't really address
the glaring problem that we have too much happening under a single roof.

Doug