hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Should we create sub-projects for HDFS and Map/Reduce?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 21:30:22 GMT
Dhruba Borthakur wrote:
> What about releases? Does this mean that each sub-project will be
> released separately?

Yes.  Although we might coordinate and release in waves.  It would
increase the importance of back-compatibility.

> If so, then the life of an administrator becomes
> even more harder :-). he has to pick and choose each package, verify
> whether they are compatible with one another, run various installation
> utilities to install them, etc.etc.

We intend to use Ivy assist with compatibility.  It would be silly
release a new X version A that requires Y version B if Y version B has
not yet been released.  So upgrading should not be any harder than it is
today: to upgrade mapreduce you might need to upgrade hdfs to a
compatible version.  Today you always have to upgrade both.  So, in some
cases, upgrades should get easier, since not everything need be upgraded
at once.

Doug