From "Arun S. Kumar" <arunsk....@gmail.com>
Subject Local hadoop setup in MaxOSX Sierra failing on Cabal update
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 03:04:22 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to setup Hadoop locally by following
https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute
and
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hadoop.git;a=blob;f=BUILDING.txt.

I am on MacOSX Sierra (10.12.3) 8GB RAM 2.2GHZ intel core i7.
I installed ubuntu-trusty-64 via vagrant and virtualbox provider.

When I ssh'ed into ubuntu and tried running start-build-env.sh , it failed
at

Step 21/33 : RUN cabal update

Killed

The command '/bin/sh -c cabal update' returned a non-zero code: 137
I googled around and found one possible reason could be that it doesn't
have enough memory

while creating the container and tried a suggestion to restart VM but again
got different error
below.

Step 21/33 : RUN cabal update

cabal: out of memory (requested 1048576 bytes)

The command '/bin/sh -c cabal update' returned a non-zero code: 1
Is Cabal really needed or optional ? Any help is much appreciated.

TIA.

Regards,
Arun S. Kumar