From iain wright <iainw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BigData New User
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 21:25:42 GMT
A fun one I did to learn some pieces was:
-Python and beautiful soup to crawl whatever you want (I did stock forums)
- write it to Kafka
- then flume to s3
then spark to read in the data and make pretty graphs using seaborn in jupyter/zeppelin

I was trying to score sentiment and graph it vs price

You could also just pull in the twitter sample stream and do wordcounts, etc.

It really depends what you want to learn ofcourse...just pick something you find interesting
and work through the steps. It would be best to pick a goal, then research which tech is relevant
for which piece of your pipeline

RE: interviews, you probably don't want to be interviewing for big data jobs with no experience
with it? If it's a junior role and you're already a solid dev it makes sense. But interviewing
or worse yet landing a job and being expected to manage any of these pieces having only played
with them in tutorials would be bad for both parties

Sent from my iPhone