From Alexandru Calin <alexandrucali...@gmail.com>
Subject Tracing Hadoop using HTrace with Zipkin
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2016 13:52:57 GMT
favorite
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39181880/tracing-hadoop-using-htrace-with-zipkin#>

I am trying to use HTrace with Hadoop 2.6.0 on Ubuntu 14.04. I have
followed Hadoop's HTrace integration tutorial here
<https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.2/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/Tracing.html>
.

I have added the following configuration properties to core-site.xml on all
nodes ( namenode & datanodes ), as specified in the tutorial:

    <property>
        <name>hadoop.htrace.sampler</name>
        <value>NeverSampler</value>
      </property>
    property>
    <name>hadoop.htrace.spanreceiver.classes</name>
    <value>ZipkinSpanReceiver</value>
  </property>
  <property>
        <name>hadoop.htrace.zipkin.collector-hostname</name>
        <value>hadoop-master</value>
      </property>
      <property>
        <name>hadoop.htrace.zipkin.collector-port</name>
        <value>9410</value>
      </property>

I have followed the *Setting up ZipkinSpanReceiver* section, compiled,
built & copied the libraries:

/usr/local/hadoop/share/hadoop/common/lib/htrace-core-3.0.4.jar
/usr/local/hadoop/share/hadoop/common/lib/htrace-zipkin-3.0.4-jar-with-dependencies.jar

I have downloaded Zipkin from here <https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin> and
started the server running the jar.

I have compiled, the TracingFsShell.java, with some minor modifications to
including dependencies:

import org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration;import
org.apache.hadoop.fs.FsShell;import
org.apache.hadoop.tracing.SpanReceiverHost;import
org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner;import org.htrace.Sampler;import
org.htrace.Trace;import org.htrace.TraceScope;
public class TracingFsShell {
  public static void main(String argv[]) throws Exception {
    FsShell shell = new FsShell();
    conf.setQuietMode(false);
    shell.setConf(conf);
    SpanReceiverHost.getInstance(conf);
    int res = 0;
    TraceScope ts = null;
    try {
      ts = Trace.startSpan("FsShell", Sampler.ALWAYS);
      res = ToolRunner.run(shell, argv);
    } finally {
      shell.close();
      if (ts != null) ts.close();
    }
    System.exit(res);
  }}

The modifications came after I wasn't able to build the example and have
looked through the classes of the two compiled jars(htrace-core &
htrace-zipkin). When I run the example, I get nothing in zipkin.

java -cp .:`hadoop classpath` TracingFsShell -ls /Found 1 items
drwxr-xr-x   - hduser supergroup          0 2016-07-02 08:28 /user

Am I missing something?