From Mingyu Kim <m...@palantir.com>
Subject Verifying the authenticity of submitted AM
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2016 22:24:12 GMT
// forking for clarify

Related to the question I had below, I’m wondering how I can verify the authenticity of
the submitted AM. (For example, when I’m making a call to AM, I’d like to verify that
I’m talking to the AM that I submitted, not someone else who hijacked my network traffic.
Also, when AM makes a callback to a server outside YARN, I’d like to verify that it’s
the AM I submitted, not someone else who’s spoofing) This can generally be achieved by sending
a secret (whether that’s a one-time secret that the server outside YARN can verity or a
SSL keystore) to AM. Do you know how one can securely send the secret to AM? Or, is there
an existing YARN mechanism I can rely on to verify the authenticity? (I saw ApplicationReport.getClientToAMToken(),
but that seems to be for AM to verify the authenticity of client) Again, any pointer will
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mingyu

From: Rohith Sharma K S <rohithsharmaks@huawei.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 11:15 PM
To: Mingyu Kim <mkim@palantir.com>, "user@hadoop.apache.org" <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc: Matt Cheah <mcheah@palantir.com>
Subject: RE: Securely discovering Application Master's metadata or sending a secret to Application
Master at submission

Hi

Do you know how I can extend the client interface of the RPC port?

>>> YARN provides YARNClIent library that uses ApplicationClientProtocol. For your
more understanding refer https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/WritingYarnApplications.html#Writing_a_simple_Client

I know AM has some endpoints exposed through the RPC port for internal YARN communications,
but was not sure how I can extend it to expose a custom endpoint.

>>> I am not sure what you mean here internal YARN communication? AM can connect
to RM only via AM-RM interface for register/unregister and heartbeat and details sent to RM
are limited.  It is up to the AM’s to expose client interface for providing metadata.

Thanks & Regards

Rohith Sharma K S