From "Phillips, Caleb" <Caleb.Phill...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: fs.s3a.endpoint not working
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2016 22:21:29 GMT
Hi Billy (and others),

One of the threads suggested using the core-site.xml. Did you try putting your configuration
in there?

Yes, I did try that. I’ve also tried setting it dynamically in e.g., spark. I can verify
that it is getting the configuration correctly:

hadoop org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration

Still it never connects to our internal S3-compatable store and always connects to AWS.

One thing I've noticed is that the AWS stuff is handled by an underlying library (I think
jets3t in < 2.6 versions, forget what in 2.6+) and when I was trying to mess with stuff
and spelunking through the hadoop code, I kept running into blocks with that library.

I started digging into the code. I found that the custom endpoint was introduced with this
patch:

It seems it was integrated in 2.7.0, so just to be sure I downloaded 2.7.1, but the problem
persists.

That code calls this function in the AWS Java SDK:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSJavaSDK/latest/javadoc/com/amazonaws/services/s3/AmazonS3Client.html#setEndpoint(java.lang.String)

However, no matter what configuration I use, it still seems to connect to Amazon AWS. Is it
possible that the AWS Java SDK cannot work with S3-compatable (non-AWS) stores? If so, it
would seem there is no way currently to connect hadoop to an S3-compatable non-AWS store.

If anyone else has any insight, particularly success using hadoop with a non-AWS, S3-compatable
store, please chime in!

William Watson
Software Engineer
(904) 705-7056 PCS