From Kristoffer Sjögren <sto...@gmail.com>
Subject Yarn app: Cannot run "java -jar" container
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 13:52:07 GMT
Hi

I'm trying to run a yarn 2.7.1 application using a basic boilerplate
[1]. But I have trouble running the container with an executable jar
file using the following args list.

        List<String> arg = Collections.singletonList(
          "/usr/jdk64/jdk1.8.0_40/bin/java -jar app-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar" +
            " 1>" + ApplicationConstants.LOG_DIR_EXPANSION_VAR + "/stdout" +
            " 2>" + ApplicationConstants.LOG_DIR_EXPANSION_VAR + "/stderr"
        );

I'm not really sure why it doesn't work because the diagnostics
message on tells me exit code 1 (see below). Neither the stdout or
stderr files appear, and I have tried to pipe them to /tmp/stdout etc.

How do I debug this error? Is the diagnostics message the only way? I
have tried a gazillion different combinations of running the
container, and the process is very time consuming and frustrating when
there isn't any information to debug.

Any tips or pointers on how to trace this error down?

Cheers,
-Kristoffer

[1] https://github.com/hortonworks/simple-yarn-app/tree/master/src/main/java/com/hortonworks/simpleyarnapp

Stack trace: ExitCodeException exitCode=1:
at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.runCommand(Shell.java:576)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.run(Shell.java:487)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ShellCommandExecutor.execute(Shell.java:753)
at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.DefaultContainerExecutor.launchContainer(DefaultContainerExecutor.java:212)
at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.launcher.ContainerLaunch.call(ContainerLaunch.java:302)
at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.launcher.ContainerLaunch.call(ContainerLaunch.java:82)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Container exited with a non-zero exit code 1