From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject Can a YARN container request be fulfilled by a container with less memory?
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2015 00:24:51 GMT
If an Application Master requests N containers, each with 2000 MB of memory, should all container
allocations received by the AM always have a memory allocation of at least 2000 MB?

We have a case of requesting N 2000 MB containers and received one container with only 1024
MB. The rest were 2048MB. We are using the default Capacity Scheduler.

Is this a configuration error on our part or has the Resource Manager somehow returned the
wrong size container allocation?  Should we simply reject small containers and wait for the
RM to find a larger one for us?

John Lilley