From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: a non-commerial distribution of hadoop ecosystem?
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2015 00:29:44 GMT
Bigtop, in a nutshell, is a non-commercial multi-stakeholder Apache project that produces a
build framework that takes as input source from Hadoop and related big data projects and produces
as output OS native packages for installation and management - certainly, a distribution of
the Hadoop ecosystem - coupled with a suite of integration tests for ensuring the distribution
components are working well together, coupled with a suite of Puppet scripts for post-deploy
configuration management. It's a rather large nutshell. (Smile)  Bigtop distribution packages
are supported by Cask's Coopr (coopr.io) and I think to some extent by Ambari (haven't tried
it).

I've personally used Bigtop for years to produce several custom Hadoop distributions. For
this purpose it is a great tool.

Please mail user@bigtop.apache.org if you would like to know more, we'd love to talk with
you.

> On Jun 2, 2015, at 7:16 AM, Demai Ni <nidmgg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Chris and Roman,
>
> many thanks for the quick response.  I will take a look at bigtop. Actually, I heard
about it, but thought it is a installation framework, instead of a hadoop distribution. Now
I am looking at the BigTop 0.7.0 hadoop instruction, which probably will work fine for my
needs. Appreciate the pointer.

> Roman, I will ping you off list for ODP. I was hoping ODP will be the one for me. Well,
in reality, it is owned by a few companies, at least not by ONE company. :-)  It is fine with
me, as long as ODP is open to be used by others. I am just having trouble to find document/installation
info of the ODP. maybe I should google harder? :-)