From Manoj Venkatesh <manoj.venkat...@xoom.com>
Subject Add keys to column family in HBase using Python
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2015 17:28:18 GMT
Dear Hadoop experts,

I have a Hadoop cluster which has Hive, HBase installed along with other Hadoop components.
 I am currently exploring ways to automate a data migration process from Hive to HBase which
involves new columns of data added ever so often.  I was successful in creating a HBase table
using Hive and load data into the HBase table, on these lines I tried to add columns to the
HBase table(from Hive) using the alter table syntax and I got the error message, "ALTER TABLE
cannot be used for a non-native table temp_testing".

As an alternative to this I am also trying to do this programmatically using Python, I have
explored the libraries HappyBase<https://happybase.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html>
and starbase<http://pythonhosted.org//starbase/>. These libraries provide functionality
for creating, deleting and other features but none of these provide an option to add a key
to a column family. Does anybody know of a better way of achieving this with Python, say libraries
or through other means.

Thanks in advance,
Manoj

The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which
it is addressed, and may contain material confidential to Xoom Corporation, and/or its subsidiary,
buyindiaonline.com Inc. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material from your files.