I found the following solution to this problem

I registered 2 subdomains  (public and local) for each computer on https://freedns.afraid.org/subdomain/

then I added cron job which sends http requests to update public and local ip on freedns server
hint: public ip is detected automatically
ip address for local name can be set using request parameter &address=10.x.x.x   (don't forget to escape &)

as a result my nn computer has 2 DNS names with currently assigned ip addresses , e.g.
myhadoop-nn.crabdance.com  54.203.181.177
myhadoop-nn-local.crabdance.com   10.220.149.103

in hadoop configuration I can use local machine names
to access my cluster outside of AWS I can use public names

Just curious if AWS provides easier way to name EC2 computers?