From max scalf <oracle.bl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: t2.micro on AWS; Is it enough for setting up Hadoop cluster ?
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 02:39:52 GMT
Here is a easy way to go about assigning static name to your ec2 instance.
When you get the launch an EC2-instance from aws console when you get to
the point of selecting VPC, ip address screen there is a screen that says
"USER DATA"...put the below in with appropriate host name(change
CHANGE_HOST_NAME_HERE to whatever you want) and that should be able to get
you static name.

#!/bin/bash

HOSTNAME_TAG=CHANGE_HOST_NAME_HERE
cat > /etc/sysconfig/network << EOF
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=no
HOSTNAME=${HOSTNAME_TAG}
EOF

IP=$(curl http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/local-ipv4)
echo "${IP} ${HOSTNAME_TAG}.localhost ${HOSTNAME_TAG}" >> /etc/hosts

echo ${HOSTNAME_TAG} > /proc/sys/kernel/hostname
service network restart

Also note i was able to do this on couple of spot instance for cheap price,
only thing is once you shut it down or someone outbids you, you loose that
instance but its easy/cheap to play around with.... and i have used couple
of m3.medium for my NN/SNN and couple of them for data nodes...