From Tianyin Xu <t...@cs.ucsd.edu>
Subject Are these configuration parameters deprecated?
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2014 20:22:02 GMT
Hi,

I'm very confused by some of the MapReduce configuration parameters
which appear in the latest version of mapred-default.xml.
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-mapreduce-client/hadoop-mapreduce-client-core/mapred-default.xml

Take "mapreduce.task.tmp.dir" as an example, I fail to find its usage
in code but

/* mapreduce/util/ConfigUtil.java */
 55       new DeprecationDelta("mapred.temp.dir",
 56         MRConfig.TEMP_DIR),

My interpretation is that it's renamed into "mapred.temp.dir".
However, when I grep the new name, I still cannot find any code except
some testing ones in
./hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/BenchmarkThroughput.java

>From the semantics, this should be a "must-to-have" parameter for MR jobs...

Also, many parameters are like this. So I'm really confused.

Am I missing something? Are these parameters deprecated?

Thanks a lot!
Tianyin