From "Adaryl \"Bob\" Wakefield, MBA" <adaryl.wakefi...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark vs Tez
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:26:33 GMT
“The only problem with Spark adoption is the steep learning curve of Scala , and understanding
the API properly.”

This is why I’m looking for reasons to avoid Spark. In my mind, it’s one more thing to
have to master and doesn’t really have anything to offer that can’t be done with other
tools that are already inside my skillset. I spoke with some software engineers recently and
basically the discussion boiled down to if you need to master Java or Scala go with Java.
Three months into Java I don’t want to stop that and start learning Scala.

B.
From: kartik saxena
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2014 1:12 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Spark vs Tez

I did a performance benchmark during my summer internship . I am currently a grad student.
Can't reveal much about the specific project but Spark is still faster than around 4-5th iteration
of Tez of the same query/dataset. By Iteration I mean utilizing the "hot-container" property
of Apache Tez  . See latest release of Tez and some hortonworks tutorials on their website.

The only problem with Spark adoption is the steep learning curve of Scala , and understanding
the API properly.

Thanks

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA <adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com>