From Adam Faris <afa...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: Datanode disk considerations
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2014 21:23:34 GMT
Hadoop balancer doesn’t balance data on the local drives, it balances data between datanodes
on the grid, so running the balancer won’t balance data on the local datanode.

The datanode process round-robins between data directories on local disk, so it’s not unexpected
to see the smaller drive fill faster.  Typically people run the same size drives within each
compute node to prevent this from happening.

You could partition the 2TB drive into four 500GB partitions.  This isn’t optimal as you’ll
have 4 write threads pointing at a single disk but is fairly simple to implement.  Otherwise
you’ll want to physically rebuild your 4 nodes so each node has equal amounts of storage.

I’d also like to suggest while restructuring your local filesystem, that the tasktracker/nodemanager
be given it’s own partition for writes.  If both the tasktracker/nodemanger plus datanode
process share a partition, when the mappers spill to disk it will cause the HDFS space to
shrink and grow as the datanode is reporting back how much free space it has for it’s partitions.

Good luck.

On Aug 6, 2014, at 1:51 PM, Felix Chern <idryman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Run the “hadoop balencer” command on the namenode. It’s is used for balancing skewed
data.
> http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.4/commands_manual.html#balancer
>

> On Aug 6, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Brian C. Huffman <bhuffman@etinternational.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> We currently a Hadoop 2.2.0 cluster with the following characteristics:
>> - 4 nodes
>> - Each node is a datanode
>> - Each node has 3 physical disks for data: 2 x 500GB and 1 x 2TB disk.
>> - HDFS replication factor of 3
>>
>> It appears that our 500GB disks are filling up first (the alternative would be to
put 4 times the number of blocks on the 2TB disks per node).  I'm concerned that once the
500GB disks fill, our performance will slow down (less spindles being read / written at the
same time per node).  Is this correct?  Is there anything we can do to change this behavior?