From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: clarification on HBASE functionality
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:05:07 GMT
HBase will take advantage of HDFS specific features if they are available
but can run on anything that has a Hadoop FileSystem driver. Gluster is an
option. Maybe Lustre and Ceph also.

If you plan on dedicating storage to Cassandra, then you don't have to
worry about managing a distributed filesystem. However, if you plan to
deploy and use a distributed filesystem for useful work already, and want
to run a scale out store on the same infrastructure, then HBase can be
convenient.

You can run into trouble if using a Hadoop FileSystem implementation that
doesn't guarantee you can immediately read what you've written, so don't
use S3.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy