From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: persisent services in Hadoop
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 15:13:43 GMT
Thanks Arun!
I do think we are on the bleeding edge of YARN, because everyone else in our application space
generates MapReduce (Pig, Hive), or they have overlaid their legacy server-grid on Hadoop.
I will explore both resources you mentioned to see where the development community is headed.
Cheers,
john

From: Arun Murthy [mailto:acm@hortonworks.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:50 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: persisent services in Hadoop

John,

 We are excited to see ISVs like you get value from YARN, and appreciate the patience you've
already shown in the past to work through the teething issues of YARN & hadoop-2.x.

 W.r.t long-running services, the most straight-forward option is to go through Apache Slider
(http://slider.incubator.apache.org/). Slider has already made good progress in supporting
various long-running services such as Apache HBase, Apache Accumulo & Apache Storm. I'm
very sure the Slider community would be very welcoming of your use-cases, suggestions etc.
- particularly as they are gearing up to support various applications atop; and would love
your feedback.

 Furthemore, there is work going on in YARN itself to better support your use case: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-896.
 Again, your feedback there is very, very welcome.

 Also, you might be interested in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-1530 which provides
a generic framework for collecting application metrics for YARN applications.

 Hope that helps.

thanks,
Arun

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net<mailto:john.lilley@redpoint.net>>