From Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Differences between HistoryServer and Yarn TimeLine server?
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2014 04:56:32 GMT
In Hadoop 2.4, we have delivered the timeline server at a preview stage,
which actually can serve some generic YARN application history as well as
the framework specific information. Due to the development logistics, we
have created the two concepts: History Server and Timeline Server. To be
simple, you can consider the history server of the service of the generic
YARN application information, while consider the timeline server of the
service of the framework specific information. Importantly, we just have
one daemon, which includes both services, and which we'd like to call
timeline server (unfortunately, the confusing thing is that the command to
start the daemon is "historyserver"). We're going on working on the
timeline server to integrate these two parts, including refactoring the
names.

BTW, if you mean MapReduce JobHistoryServer by HistoryServer, it's a
different daemon, which serves the historic information of MapReduce jobs
only.

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.