From Manoj Samel <manojsamelt...@gmail.com>
Subject Confirm that restoring a copy of snapshot involves copying the data
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 17:08:58 GMT
Hi,

If I take HDFS snapshot and then restore is to some other directory using

hdfs dfs -cp /xxx/.snapshot/nnn /aaa/bbb

want to confirm that there is a copy of data from files under snapshot to
the target director. I.e. there is no "linking" of new directory files to
existing directory or other non-copy optimizations etc.

If the use case is that the data is readonly and does not need to be
duplicated (e.g. can be logically linked), is there a way to make a new
directory have same files without copying the data ?

Thanks,

Manoj