From Radhe Radhe <radhe.krishna.ra...@live.com>
Subject Running a Job in a Local Job Runner:Windows 7 64-bit
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 19:36:09 GMT
Hi All,

I'm trying to get some hands-on on the Map Reduce programming.

I downloaded the code examples from Hadoop-The definitive guide, 3rd edition and build it
using Maven:
mvn package -DskipTests -Dhadoop.distro=apache-2

Next I imported the maven projects into Eclipse. Using Eclipse now I can develop my own Map
Reduce jobs.
Bu how do I test\run the job locally using the "Local Job Runner"?

The book excerpt says:
Now we can run this application against some local files. Hadoop comes with a local
job runner, a cut-down version of the MapReduce execution engine for running Map-
Reduce jobs in a single JVM. It’s designed for testing, and is very convenient for use in
an IDE, since you can run it in a debugger to step through the code in your mapper and
reducer.

Do I also need to install Hadoop locally on Windows for that?

Thanks,
-RR