From Alejandro Abdelnur <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Data Locality and WebHDFS
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2014 17:07:31 GMT
dont recall how skips are handled in webhdfs, but i would assume that you'll get to the first
block As usual, and the skip is handled by the DN serving the file (as webhdfs doesnot know
at open that you'll skip)

Alejandro
(phone typing)

> On Mar 17, 2014, at 9:47, RJ Nowling <rnowling@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Alejandro,
>
> The WebHDFS API allows specifying an offset and length for the request.  If I specify
an offset that start in the second block for a file (thus skipping the first block all together),
will the namenode still direct me to a datanode with the first block or will it direct me
to a namenode with the second block?  I.e., am I assured data locality only on the first block
of the file (as you're saying) or on the first block I am accessing?

> If it is as you say, then I may want to reach out the WebHDFS developers and see if they
would be interested in the additional functionality.

> Thank you,
> RJ
>

>> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tucu@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> I may have expressed myself wrong. You don't need to do any test to see how locality
works with files of multiple blocks. If you are accessing a file of more than one block over
webhdfs, you only have assured locality for the first block of the file.

>> Thanks.
>>

>>> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 9:18 PM, RJ Nowling <rnowling@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thank you, Mingjiang and Alejandro.
>>>
>>> This is interesting.  Since we will use the data locality information for scheduling,
we could "hack" this to get the data locality information, at least for the first block.
As Alejandro says, we'd have to test what happens for other data blocks -- e.g., what if,
knowing the block sizes, we request the second or third block?

>>> Interesting food for thought!  I see some experiments in my future!
>>>
>>> Thanks!

being local or not) are streamed out by the same datanode. for small files (one block) you'll
get locality, for large files only the first block, and by chance if other blocks are local
to that datanode.

to the corresponding datanodes. It uses the full bandwidth of the Hadoop cluster for streaming
data.

of HDFS. It runs inside Namenodes and Datanodes, therefore, it can use all HDFS functionalities.
It is a part of HDFS – there are no additional servers to install

be redirected to the data node automatically.

to Disco, an Erlang MapReduce framework.

data nodes be accessed via Web HDFS?  Or do all Web HDFS requests have to go through a single
server?