From Geoff Thompson <ge...@bearpeak.com>
Subject Re: Can a YARN Cient or Application Master determine when log aggregation has completed?
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2014 19:48:11 GMT
Hi Zhijie,

Thanks for letting us know this issue has been recognized.

Thanks,

Geoff

On Mar 10, 2014, at 12:09 PM, Zhijie Shen <zshen@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>
> Unfortunately, there's no such a API for users to determine whether the log aggregation
is completed or not, but the issue has been tackled. You can keep an eye on YARN-1279.

> - Zhijie
>

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Geoff Thompson <geoff@bearpeak.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Log aggregation is great. However, if a yarn application runs a large number of tasks
which generate large logs, it takes some finite amount of time for all of the logs to be collected
and written to the HDFS.

> Currently our client code runs the equivalent of the "yarn logs" command once all tasks
have completed. This works fine provided log aggregation is complete.

> But it fails in a variety of ways if aggregation is not complete. This includes one case
where the "yarn logs" code encounters no exceptions and no non-zero return codes from methods,
but returns an empty string.

> So, is there a way to determine if log aggregation is complete?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Geoff
>

> --
> Zhijie Shen
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure
or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.