From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: FileSystem iterative or limited alternative to listStatus()
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2014 00:37:00 GMT
Hmmm, that's not right either, but this looks like the following will work since I can stop
iterating at any time.
RemoteIterator<LocatedFileStatus> listFiles(Path f, boolean recursive);
Thanks for getting me looking the right direction, anyway!
john

From: Ted Yu [mailto:yuzhihong@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 4:58 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: FileSystem iterative or limited alternative to listStatus()

Can you utilize the following API ?
  public FileStatus[] listStatus(Path f, PathFilter filter)
Cheers

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 3:52 PM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net<mailto:john.lilley@redpoint.net>>
wrote:
Is there an HDFS file system method for listing a directory contents iteratively, or at least
stopping at some limit?  We have an application in which the user can type wildcards, which
our app expands.  However, during interactive phases we only want the first matching file
to check its format.  There may be folders with many 1000s of files...
Thanks
John