From Keith Wiley <kwi...@keithwiley.com>
Subject Re: DistributedCache is empty
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:32:05 GMT
2.0.0

The problem was I was creating a new Configuration and giving it to the Job ctor (which I
believe is demonstrated in some tutorials) whereas the correct behavior was to retrieve the
preexisting Configuration and use that instead.  This may be a distinction between writing
a bare driver and one that overrides Configured and Tool.

On Jan 17, 2014, at 09:46 , Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli wrote:

> What is the version of Hadoop that you are using?
>
> +Vinod
>
> On Jan 16, 2014, at 2:41 PM, Keith Wiley <kwiley@keithwiley.com> wrote:
>
>> My driver is implemented around Tool and so should be wrapping GenericOptionsParser
internally.  Nevertheless, neither -files nor DistributedCache methods seem to work.  Usage
on the command line is straight forward, I simply add "-files foo.py,bar.py" right after the
class name (where those files are in the current directory I'm running hadoop from, i.e.,
the local nonHDFS filesystem).  The mapper then inspects the file list via DistributedCache.getLocalCacheFiles(context.getConfiguration())
and doesn't see the files, there's nothing there.  Likewise, if I attempt to run those python
scripts from the mapper using hadoop.util.Shell, the files obviously can't be found.

>> That should have worked, so I shouldn't have to rely on the DC methods, but nevertheless,
I tried anyway, so in the driver I create a new Configuration, then call DistributedCache.addCacheFile(new
URI("./foo.py"), conf), thus referencing the local nonHDFS file in the current working directory.
 I then add conf to the job ctor, seems straight forward.  Still no dice, the mapper can't
see the files, they simply aren't there.

>> What on Earth am I doing wrong here?

>> Keith Wiley     kwiley@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>>
>> "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
>>                                          --  Yoda
>>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

"It's a fine line between meticulous and obsessive-compulsive and a slippery
rope between obsessive-compulsive and debilitatingly slow."
                                           --  Keith Wiley