From java8964 <java8...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Running Hadoop v2 clustered mode MR on an NFS mounted filesystem
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:28:19 GMT
I believe the "-fs local" should be removed too. The reason is that even you have a dedicated
JobTracker after removing "-jt local", but with "-fs local", I believe that all the mappers
will be run sequentially.
"-fs local" will force the mapreducer run in "local" mode, which is really a test mode.
What you can do is to remove both "-fs local -jt local", but give the FULL URI of the input
and output path, to tell Hadoop that they are local filesystem instead of HDFS.
"hadoop jar /hduser/hadoop/share/hadoop/mapreduce/hadoop-mapreduce-examples-2.2.0.jar wordcount
file:///hduser/mount_point file:///results"
Keep in mind followings:
1) The NFS mount need to be available in all your Task Nodes, and mounted in the same way.2)
Even you can do that, but your sharing storage will be your bottleneck. NFS won't work well
for scalability.
Yong

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:01:32 -0500
Subject: Re: Running Hadoop v2 clustered mode MR on an NFS mounted filesystem
From: dsuiter@rdx.com
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

I think most of your problem is coming from the options you are setting:
"hadoop jar /hduser/hadoop/share/hadoop/mapreduce/hadoop-mapreduce-examples-2.2.0.jar wordcount
-fs local -jt local /hduser/mount_point/  /results"

You appear to be directing your namenode to run jobs in the LOCAL job runner and directing
it to read from the LOCAL filesystem. Drop the -jt argument and it should run in distributed
mode if your cluster is set up right. You don't need to do anything special to point Hadoop
towards a NFS location, other than set up the NFS location properly and make sure if you are
directing to it by name that it will resolve to the right address. Hadoop doesn't care where
it is, as long as it can read from and write to it. The fact that you are telling it to read/write
from/to a NFS location that happens to be mounted as a local filesystem object doesn't matter
- you could direct it to the local /hduser/ path and set the -fs local option, and it would
end up on the NFS mount, because that's where the NFS mount actually exists, or you could
direct it to the absolute network location of the folder that you want, it shouldn't make
a difference.
Devin SuiterJr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
Google Voice: 412-256-8556 | www.rdx.com