From Pradeep Gollakota <pradeep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to best decide mapper output/reducer input for a huge string?
Date Sat, 21 Sep 2013 06:56:41 GMT
I'm sorry but I don't understand your question. Is the output of the mapper
you're describing the key portion? If it is the key, then your data should
already be sorted by HouseHoldId since it occurs first in your key.

The SortComparator will tell Hadoop how to sort your data. So you use this
if you have a need for a non lexical sort order. The GroupingComparator
will tell Hadoop how to group your data for the reducer. All KV-pairs from
the same group will be given to the same Reducer.

If your reduce computation needs all the KV-pairs for the same HouseHoldId,
then you will need to write a GroupingComparator.

Also, have you considered using a higher level abstraction on Hadoop such
as Pig, Hive, Cascading, etc.? The sorting/grouping type of tasks are a LOT
easier to write in these languages.

Hope this helps!
- Pradeep